Learning how to live a life that is exclusively yours versus the life that you believe you are supposed to live is an essential part of your growth, not just as a traveler, but as a person. Britany Felix has taken a long road to living her life as she wants to, but she has made it all the way to being the person and traveler she wants to be. Her message is to live unconventionally.
Britany joins Hayden from Colorado, at the base of the Rocky Mountains. She talks about compromising on settling down when you travel with others, how to have adventures without traveling very far, and how to live your life the way you want to. Hayden brings up how he creates a checklist in order to decide what he will and will not do. Britany also shares the story of her own life, and how she did research on the life she wanted to live and how she grew to achieve her dreams.
Britany also brings her travel story, the aptly-named “Parisian Roller Coaster of Emotion,” in which she weaves the tale of her first trip out of her home country, to France. While she and her new husband were there, they immediately encountered several unfortunate incidents, then a few positive experiences, in a true roller coaster of highs and lows, ups and downs, a tumultuous ride through their Parisian vacation. Britany used the experience to teach herself how to use the negative emotions that come with such unfortunate events like these ones.
Becoming the person you want to be is a long road, but, if you do not take the first step on the path, you can never reach your destination. Britany is living proof that, with the right research and journey, you can be the traveler - and the person - that you want to be. All you have to do is live a little unconventionally.
In this episode, Hayden and Britany Felix discuss:
- Traveling full-time versus traveling part-time. Hayden asks Britany how to compromise on settling down when you travel with partners or other companions.
- Finding adventures in the place you grew up in or the place that you were in at the moment. You can travel all over the world, because you never think of the place you are in as being a destination, but everywhere is a foreign place to people who are not from there.
- The concept of living your life the way you want to, not the way you are supposed to. Hayden brings up how he makes up a checklist to decide whether or not to do something.
- How to free up your life and to feel the freedom and happiness that adventurers who share their stories, like Britany, feel when they travel.
- Traditional ways of living, and how to incorporate your life with your desire to travel. Britany shares her personal story of how she was able to achieve her dream of traveling and adventuring, and how she made herself happy through research.
- Britany recommends The Art of Non-Conformity, by Chris Guillebeau, the book that really sparked the change in her.
- Britany’s story, which takes place in Paris, France, and which she has titled: “Parisian Roller Coaster of Emotion.”
- In Britany’s story, she traveled out of country for the very first time to France, where she encountered armed security guards, a bomb threat, missing luggage - and that was just in the airport when she first landed. After that, only one thing after another just kept going alternatively wrong and right, taking Britany and her new husband on an emotionally tumultuous ride, all the way through to the very last day of the trip. She sees the trip as a true example of what travel is all about, through the highs and lows and the education the experiences give you.
- How to take the highs and lows of your travels and turn those experiences into real adventures, as well as how to pull those events into your personality and work them into your further travels. Britany discusses how to deal with negative emotions when traveling.
- Britany’s travel podcast, Living Unconventionally. Britany sums up her elevator pitch with her tagline: she interviews people who have ditched their traditional lives to chase their passions around the world. They also discuss her personal life and her own travels.
- Group travel, and how Hayden and Britany view traveling solo versus traveling with others. They also talk about how spontaneity, schedules, and appreciation of an adventure can be affected by who you travel with and what your travel plans and research are.
- Britany’s upcoming courses, which you can receive the first wave of if you join her Facebook group, Living Unconventionally Community, which you can find linked below, with other ways to find and contact Britany.