Allowing yourself to be vulnerable in any situation is not easy, but, in order to make complete connections with others, it can be very necessary. Granting yourself the freedom to be vulnerable gives you a freedom when traveling that is totally unparalleled. Hayden invites Leon Logothetis, an adventurer, motivational speaker, philanthropist, host of the television series Amazing Adventures of a Nobody, and author of The Kindness Diaries, to discuss vulnerability and kindness when traveling.
Leon’s twin passions are kindness and helping people nurture their inner rebel. He and Hayden discuss that inner rebel and how it can be coaxed out into the open, as well as what drives Leon to be kind and what motivates him to be empathetic to others. Leon also talks about how he puts himself out there when he travels, and how vital that vulnerability is.
Leon also shares his travel story, titled in an excessively British way as: “The Ham Sandwich.” It is accurate in its grimness, as it ominously leads into Leon’s bad omens in Panama and experiences traveling to Ecuador. Besides a rough-and-tumble encounter with the locals, Leon also has a dangerous experience on board a boat that was entirely unexpected, and possibly feature a ham sandwich as an unlikely catalyst.
Though making yourself vulnerable is an exceedingly difficult task, it is vital to completing your travel experience. Without that openness and willingness to connect with others, you cannot totally engage with your environments as you travel. Allowing yourself that vulnerability makes both you and your adventures well-rounded.
- 1:20 - Hayden introduces Leon Logothetis, and the two of them discuss everyone’s inner rebel and how that inner rebel can be nurtured and coaxed out into the open.
- 5:43 - Hayden asks Leon about what gives him the drive to commit acts of kindness and what his motivations are. Leon discusses the role that empathy and putting yourself in another’s shoes can play in your life and in your travels.
- 9:53 - Leon starts telling his story, ominously and Britishly titled “The Ham Sandwich.”
- Leon went on an adventure to Panama, where he immediately had a rough experience with the locals, which he took as a bad omen for things to come. The captain of the ship he then traveled on was too forceful with him regarding their food choices, which Leon tried to sneak around by requesting a ham sandwich. What happened to him afterwards, though, on the way to Ecuador, was dangerous and completely unexpected.
- 14:49 - Hayden and Leon break down Leon’s story, how the story lived up to its title, and how the ham sandwich affected - or did not affect - his journeys in North and South America.
- 15:48 - Leon talks to Hayden about how to put yourself out there when traveling, and how being vulnerable and showing that vulnerability is vital when with others in order to completely connect with them.
- 20:19 - Leon discusses Live, Love, Explore, his new book about discovering the life you were meant to live; he calls the book both a travel memoir and a self-help book.
- Check out our website at: Travel Stories Podcast Online
- Email Hayden (he’ll answer everything) at: email@example.com
- Follow Hayden on Twitter and send him a Tweet (he’ll really answer everything) at: @travelstoriesuk on Twitter
- All musical composition and arrangement for story scores by Cody Crabb, who can be found at his website: CodyCrabb.com
- All show notes and writing for episodes by Nicole Mello, who can be found at her website: Works By N.L. Mello
- Add Hayden on Snapchat to follow his journey through Brazil at: travelstoriesuk
- Check us out on Facebook at: Travel Stories Podcast
- Facebook Live videos are on Tuesdays at 7:00pm GMT/2:00pm EST/11:00am PST.
- Go to Grayl’s website and use the offer code TS25 and get 25% off through the end of November and get hooked up with a purifier at: The Grayl
- Join the mailing list at: Mailing List
- Check out Leon on YouTube at: Leon Logothetis
- Leon’s book, Live, Love, Explore, is on Amazon at: Live, Love, Explore
- Check out Leon on Facebook at: Leon Logothetis
- Daring Greatly by Brené Brown can be found here on: Amazon