Hayden brings on Cody, Nicole, Remy (his sister), and Gail (his mother) to share stories of fear and fright from around the world.
Remy visits to talk about the haunting of Havisham Court by the ghostly Elizabeth Parker, who was destroyed by grief while living in that house. In fact, some say you can still see her roaming the grounds of the house, skeletal in her wedding dress. Nicole shares stories from the haunted graveyard in her Massachusetts hometown - the Quaker Cemetery, also known as Spider Gates, the eighth gate of Hell. Cody talks about the friendly, mischievous usher who haunts the Capitol Theatre in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The highlight of this episode is Gail Faith and her story, “Havisham’s Goonies,” in which she recounts the time she and her friends broke into the abandoned Havisham Court house. They were possibly hunted by the ghost of Elizabeth Parker, who locked up doors and windows on them while they were in the unoccupied and haunted house. They were terrified by what happened to them that night, and by what they found at the house only a few days later.
In addition, the crew shares stories and urban legends from around the world. Nicole brings in the legend of the Kuchisake-onna, or the slit-mouthed woman, of Japan. Cody talks about the chupacabra, a bizarre South American creature that kills sheeps and goats and sucks out their blood. Hayden shares the history of the island of Poveglia in Italy, a place which has a history consisting almost exclusively of various forms of death. This includes plague, lepers, mental hospitals, and so on.
Travel does not take a holiday, but it does celebrate it. Scary stories come from all corners of the globe to terrify us, but by no means should that stop us from traveling. In fact, the possibility of a spooky adventure is, more than anything, a reason to keep on looking for a ghost around the corner or a fright under the hostel bed.
- 2:20 - Hayden introduces Cody, Nicole, and Remy in this special edition of the Travel Stories Podcast for Halloween. The four of them will be sharing spooky tales and urban legends for this Scary Stories Podcast episode.
- 5:42 - Hayden and Remy start telling their story about the haunting of Havisham Court by Elizabeth Parker, who was destroyed by grief while living in that house; some say you can still see her roaming the grounds of the house, skeletal in her wedding dress.
- 7:54 - Nicole shares stories about the haunted graveyard Spider Gates in her hometown of Leicester, Massachusetts, where you can, supposedly, speak to a spirit and enter the eighth gate of Hell.
- 11:53 - Cody talks about the Capitol Theatre in downtown Salt Lake City, haunted by a mischievous undead usher who likes to mess around with the crews and performers in the building.
- 14:07 - The crew talks about Slenderman, Stranger Things, their all-time favorite Halloween movies, and whether or not scary movies are genuine forms of entertainment. Hayden and Remy share stories from their childhood, as well.
- 21:49 - Hayden introduces the special Halloween story, courtesy of his mother, Gail Faith, who titled her story, “Havisham’s Goonies”.
- Gail and her friends broke into the Havisham Court house when she was young, through an open back window, back when the place was unoccupied. They snuck up the stairs, where they heard a noise, then crashed through the bannister. They were trapped, and were shocked by what happened next to them that night, and by what they found a few days later.
- 28:49 - Hayden breaks down his mother’s story with Remy and the crew and talks about Elizabeth Parker’s need for another shoe.
- 30:17 - Cody shares a story about the haunting of the house that his wife, Amanda, grew up in, which he claims is very old - but Hayden and Remy would like to disagree.
- 32:35 - The team talks about spooky things from around the world, starting with Nicole, who talks about the Japanese legend of the slit-mouthed woman.
- 36:47 - Cody talks about the chupacabra, a bizarre South American creature that kills sheeps and goats and sucks out their blood.
- 38:58 - Hayden shares his legend of the island of Poveglia in Italy, a place which has a history consisting almost exclusively of various forms of death. This includes plague, lepers, mental hospitals, and so on.
- 42:21 - The crew talks about Halloween costumes and who (or what) they want to dress up as this year.
- Check out our website at: Travel Stories Podcast Online
- Email Hayden (he’ll answer everything) at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow Hayden on Twitter and send him a Tweet (he’ll really answer everything) at: @travelstoriesuk on Twitter
- All musical composition and arrangement for story scores by Cody Crabb, who can be found at his website: CodyCrabb.com
- All show notes and writing for episodes by Nicole Mello, who can be found at her website: Works By N.L. Mello
- Add Hayden on Snapchat to follow his journey through Brazil at: travelstoriesuk
- Check us out on Facebook at: Travel Stories Podcast
- Check out this possible explanation for the Bermuda triangle: Bermuda Triangle