Finding the opportunity to travel is a struggle in itself. Finding the chance to also sustain yourself and control your own work life is an even more rare happening. Chris Duncan talks with Hayden about how to have your own mindset shift that can give you a life of travel outside of the corporate ladder.
Hayden reminds everyone to contact him or to visit the Travel Stories Podcast website if you would like to send in questions for the end-of-season Q&A if you want your questions answered, and/or if you want to try to win a GRAYL water filter. He discusses his reason for traveling before he introduces Chris Duncan, who he describes as a digital nomad and the master of building online businesses that can give you a life of travel.
Chris and Hayden discuss the mindset shift that helps a traveler run a freedom business, as well as how freedom businesses work and how to start one. They talk about breaking free of the script society has given you that everyone else around you seems to be following. Another hot topic is how to obtain both location freedom and financial freedom.
Chris’ story, “Detoxing in Thailand the Wrong Way,” is a captivating tale of Chris’ trip with his fiancee to a health retreat in Thailand, where they fasted and detoxed on an island. He had a unique experience, where he juiced and cleansed and had a mind-blowing trip that he remembers only bits and pieces of to this day. His humorous take on detox has to be heard to be believed.
Becoming a self-sustaining traveler and a freedom business owner is no small job. Chris Duncan offers advice on how to begin to live the life he has led, and how to follow your true passions while also running a business. If you want to travel, Chris can give advice; if you want to experience true travel freedom, Chris can get you started.
- 2:04 - Don’t forget to contact Hayden or go to our website and send in questions for the end-of-season Q&A for the chance to get your questions answered and win a GRAYL water filter!
- 3:44 - Hayden discusses his reason for traveling, which he believes is wanting to chase the freedom to go wherever you want. He wants to hear your reasons for traveling, too.
- 4:35 - Hayden introduces Chris Duncan, who can be described as a digital nomad. Chris brings not only a story, but also tips for traveling, since he teaches people how to get paid to travel.
- 7:14 - Hayden and Chris discuss how to obtain both financial freedom and location freedom. Chris also talks about “freedom businesses,” as well as how they work, how to start one, how to reduce your expenses, and what your work week should look like.
- 13:49 - Hayden talks with Chris about having a mindset shift, where you have to move into a more entrepreneurial mindset in order to run a freedom business. They also discuss the possibility that travelers are more apt to move into that mindset.
- 16:47 - Hayden and Chris talk about breaking free of the script that is given to you, since you do not necessarily have to follow any of the script that society gave you, that everyone else is following.
- 19:36 - Chris begins to share his story, “Detoxing in Thailand the Wrong Way.”
- Chris went to a health retreat in Thailand with his fiancee, complete with a detox and a juice fast on a scorching island. The whole detox was a completely unique event that tripped him out bad, giving him a mind-blowing, psychedelic episode that lasted for days. Chris maintains that this is the worst way to do a detox, and he highly recommends it for anyone seeking an out-of-body experience.
- 28:58 - Chris offers advice on how to become a self-sustaining traveler and/or a freedom business owner, like he has done. He believes that you should not get too caught up in the business side of things; rather, you should always stay true to yourself. He also thinks that you should not build a business around your passion, because, if you do, you cannot be true to yourself.